Rural Mission to Largest Parish
The Diocese of Covington established Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish on October 1, 1954 to serve the Hebron area of Boone County, Kentucky. During those first few years, IHM celebrated Mass at the former Grave’s Restaurant in Hebron. Ground breaking for the new church took place on August 1, 1956. Our first Mass in the new church on Limaburg Road in Hebron was celebrated on Sunday, June 7, 1957.
Construction on a combination school, convent, and rectory building began in January 1961. By January 1962, 75 students were enrolled in grades 1 through 8.
The parish continued to grow. We built a separate Rectory in 1979, and an addition to the Church was completed in 1982, along with a renovation of the sanctuary.
Boone County continued to grow, as did the Greater Cincinnati International Airport. In 1992, the airport expansion acquired the parish land on Limaburg Road. The parish purchased 14.5 acres of land on Route 18 (Burlington Pike), and broke ground for the new church and school in March 1992. The Parish celebrated Mass in the new building on July 3, 1993. On August 15, 1993, the school year began with 327 students.
The parish continued to grow, and the student population required an expansion of the school building; we added eight new classrooms in 1999.
IHM continues to grow not only in faith, but also in numbers. Our parish family now includes over 2100 registered families, with “standing room only” at most of our five Masses each Sunday. In 2014, there were 618 students in the school, Pre-K through 8th grade, and 343 students in the Parish Religious Education program. We look forward to an expansion of our facilities. However, God is our guide and we trust that God will continue to bless and lead the community of Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Fr. Jerry Britt
Betty Poole, Organist
Parish Volunteers Work on New '61 Addition
Original Church Building, 1950's
Bishop's Approval Letter
Diocese Agreement with Land Donor
Report on Fire Bomb, 1955
1st First Communion Class, 1960
John Weghorn, Land Donor
Original Church Interior
Original Church Exterior
New Church, 1992